Friday, May 18, 2018

Forget Me Not

Today’s post-match press conference has been exceptionally attended by the Deputy Director of the Chess & Cards Sports Management Centre of the National Sports Bureau 叶江川 (Yè Jiāngchuān) (right), who euphorically joined the press attaché 谷笑冰 (Gǔ Xiàobīng) (left), the newly former Women’s World Chess Champion 谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí) (centre left) and the new Women’s World Chess Champion 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn). 上海宝贝 (Shànghǎi baby), 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn), began thanking her supporters and helpers, including two super-Grandmasters: “Thanks to the 上海 (Shànghǎi) Chess Academy, and particularly to my seconds 倪华 (Ní Huá) and 王玥 (Wáng Yuè). Such a match is mostly a test of will power, and I feel happy of having won it. Under the given circumstances, I’m also quite satisfied with my performance play”.
谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí), too, thanked her supporters and sponsors, with a special mention to her second: “Thanks to everyone who helped me logistically and financially, and a special thank to my second 周唯奇 (Zhōu Wéiqí). I made too many mistakes during the first half in 上海 (Shànghǎi), finding myself out of rhythm. After returning to 重庆 (Chóngqìng), I found back myself and I almost came back, but just not enough”.
Asked about the alternate systems and formats of the Women’s World Chess Championship, 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn) answered frankly: “A match requires high physical capability, and it can even be exhausting, but it’s a very fortunate experience. If it’s between match and knockout tournament, I decidedly prefer the match”. 谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí), even understandably, stands on the opposite side of the board: “During the match I often felt hollowed out. I would have desired to be happier. I like more the knockout tournament as it produces more surprise for the audience: an exciting combination of classic, rapid and blitz chess”.
Finally, fashion gossip. Reporters emphasized that 谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí) flaunted a variety of outfits every day, whilst 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn) always showed off her bureaucratic uniform. “Actually, I should put a little more time on my make-up, but such a dress appeared to me more formal. Indeed, my sponsor gave me ample variety of choice: I still have another white-coloured blouse to spare, if ever the match should have ended in a tie-break tomorrow”, 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn) said, triggering general laughter.
On her turn, 谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí) gives the solution of her formula ten outfits = ten games: “It’s all a question of mood. After all, it’s summer and I have to change my clothing anyway. But I wore the same coat. I too don’t put too much time on my make-up: just a couple of minutes a day to apply lipstick”. Then she joked with her opponent: “Oh, yes, 居文君 (Jū Wénjūn) tells she felt good in her formal uniform, but two days ago I found out that she wore a make-up!”.
In the end, they cheered each other with words of praise and hope. Of course, a Queen knows how to leave the stage on top: “Congratulations on my friend’s win”, 谭中怡 (Tán Zhōngyí) said. “We don’t play chess the same way. For her isn’t a job as for me: it’s a passion. So that’s what I should do. I hope in the future to reduce tournaments’s quantity in favour of play’s quality, and to be able to continue my career”. Photo: news.sina.com.

No comments: