Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Time Came

Youngest 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) wins national chess title

CCTV, June 19, 2007


The 2007 National Chess Championship wound up in 重慶 (Chóngqìng) city with 13 year old 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) setting an unbeaten record to win her first title. 侯 (Hóu) becomes the youngest player to win the championship, breaking the record set by 上海 (Shànghǎi)’s 秦侃滢 (Qín Kǎnyìng) who won her first title at the age of 14 in 1988.
Monday was the final day of matches at the 2007 National Chess Championship. Her victory on the last day made the 13-year-old 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) the youngest chess national champion.


侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) didn’t let her fans down. She also broke the record set by 秦侃滢 (Qín Kǎnyìng) from 上海 (Shànghǎi) who was crowned at 14 in 1988.
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) said, “I am very happy to be the champion, but it’s just the beginning of my chess career. I will play chess for a long time and I’m starting to think about the next competition as soon as I finished this one. I won’t be over excited about it”.
Second and third place went to 赵雪 (Zhào Xuě) and 沈阳 (Shěn Yáng) respectively. While in the men’s group, reigning champion 倪华 (Ní Huá) won his second straight title.