Monday, November 17, 2014

Elixir vitae

Mum’s move: Vishy plays a partie sans façon with his mother Susheela in 1987.
Photo: Scorp News

Susheela, Vishy’s mother:
“I’d Show Him A Few Games... He’d Show Me Some”

As a child, Anand was very normal. I introduced him to chess. When the family would play, he’d come and join us. He used to play other sports as well – tennis, table tennis, badminton etc. – but he developed a flair and interest in chess. He never had a coach or anything; he learnt the game really on his own, practising vigorously and reading books etc. That’s the other thing about him. His focus and concentration level in almost anything he does is great. If he read a book, whatever the book may be, he had the ability to completely absorb and immerse himself in it. Nobody and nothing could distract him. He was good at academics as well. He managed to do both, quite effortlessly. If he can do it, I’m sure so can others. He is also a very calm person. I don’t think you need aggression to play chess. What you need is a good memory, positive attitude and the ability to plan your moves ahead. I used to play chess with him when he was young – I’d show him a few games and he, in turn, would show me some; now I just watch his moves. I don’t think there’s really a set formula for success and yet there are some ingredients like hard work, focus, determination etc. that go into the making of a champion. I think the one thing about Anand is, even when he was young, he was very respectful of elders and very humble. [Read more].

No comments: