Saturday, September 10, 2022

East-West Passage


“I am very happy with my titles, but I know there are two sides to every coin”, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) says. Photo: JosH.Film.

In 2020, audiences around the world were stunned by Beth Harmon, the chess prodigy in The Queen’s Gambit. However, there is such a “chess queen” in real life as well — she is 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán), 28.
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) began to play chess in 1999, at the age of five. Back then her parents took her to the Children’s Palace to introduce her to different puzzle games. “I got struck by the unique shape of chessmen and I chose chess”, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) said.
For two years 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) took chess as a hobby, until when she met 童渊铭 (Tóng Yuānmíng), an International Master who began coaching her professionally.
“Chess is a mind game, full of uncertainties. Even when there are only five or six pieces left on the board, you cannot calculate all variations”, says 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán). “Hence, often praxis and strategy matter more than theory”.
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) began to study and play intensively, and soon chess became her life.
Fortunately, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán)’s dedication paid off. At 13, she became the youngest ever Chinese Women’s Champion, and at 16, she became the youngest Women’s World Champion.
Although 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) has become a world-renowned chess star, she has always maintained his modesty. “I am very happy with my titles, but I know there are two sides to every coin”, she added. “Public attention amplifies your flaws too, so I cannot rest on my laurels if I want to keep improving”.
After focusing on chess for a long time, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) decided to study at university. In 2012, she entered the School of International Studies of Peking University, majoring in Diplomacy, and then she went to Oxford University for further study.
“I have to know more”, says 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán). “I want to open my eyes and see the whole world”.
Now at 28 years old, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán), a Professor at 深圳大学 (Shēnzhèn University), hopes to “combine what [she] knew from the West and East in a program of chess study aimed at reaching more and more young Chinese people”.

(English translation by I, Robot)

No comments: