Thursday, November 26, 2015

Cold War (Холодная война)

http://tass.ru/sport/2472937
Ilyumzhinov associates U.S. sanctions with his active foreign policy strategy

The U.S. Department of the Treasury stated earlier that sanctions would have been imposed because of his assistance with the chairman of the Central Bank of Syria

MOSCOW, November 25. / Correspondent: Andrey Fyodorovich Kartashov / TASS. The U.S. Department of the Treasury could impose sanctions against the President of the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE) Kirsan Nikolayevich Ilyumzhinov because of his active foreign policy strategy, Ilyumzhinov told TASS.
Earlier it was reported that the U.S. Department of the Treasury announced sanctions against Ilyumzhinov because of his alleged assistance with the chairman of the Central Bank of Syria.
“The news came as a surprise to me. I associate sanctions with my very active foreign policy strategy. In particular, I’ve been in North Korea, Syria, met Bashar Hafez al-Assad several times”, he said. “I can say that I’ll fly to the United States Sunday, where I’ll be discussing issues related to the World Championship match in 2017. I’m also planning to visit Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City. If the U.S. Department of the Treasury has any questions for me, I’m ready to meet. The Ministry of Finance of Syria might also impose sanctions against me as I also associate with representatives of the United States and fly to controversial negotiations”.
He added that he’ll keep cooperating with the Syrian authorities, despite the fact that the U.S. Department of the Treasury has put him on the sanctions blacklist.
“Yes, I won’t refuse to help. We’ve sent thousands of chess sets, translated books into Arabic, sponsored a chess tournament. So we’ll keep helping”, Ilyumzhinov said to the TV channel “Russia-24”.
Ilyumzhinov was elected President of FIDE on November 24, 1995. Since then, he was re-elected six times. For over 90 years of history of the Federation, he’s the sixth President.

No comments: