Thursday, December 29, 2022

Movin’ on

Serbian tennis star Novak Đoković, on the quest for his 10th Australian Open title, returned to Australia on Tuesday, one year after his detention and deportation for being unvaccinated against COVID-19. In the meantime, many things have changed. A new government came to power, and Đoković’s three-year visa ban was finally overturned. Yet it is not just a matter of whether one feels like a year ago, before all that’s happened. “Obviously what happened 12 months ago was not easy for me, for my family, team, anybody who is close to me. It’s obviously disappointing to leave the country like that”, he said. “You can’t forget those events. It’s one of these things that stays with you for I guess the rest of your life. It’s something that I’ve never experienced before and hopefully never again. But it is a valuable life experience for me and something that as I said will stay there, but I have to move on”. Photo: Mark Brake/Getty Images.

No comments: