Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Дежавю (Déjà vu)

http://www.radiosvoboda.org/content/article/26945436.html
Society
Chess Queen Mariya Muzychuk: “I’m not superstitious, but in Krasnaya Polyana I played all the games with the same sweater”
“The harder time came when I had to play the final match against a Russian opponent, as the tournament was held in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia”

15th Women’s World Chess Champion Mariya Muzychuk

Lüdmila Vannek, April 8, 2015

Last Wednesday the President of Ukraine Petro Oleksiyovych Poroshenko awarded the Women’s World Chess Champion, 22-year-old Maria Muzychuk of Stry, Lviv region, with an Order “For Merit”. “It is a high honour for Ukraine to welcome you as World Champion. I, as well as all people who usually don’t follow chess, we supported you all together as one people. I’m confident there is no one who does not wish to be happy. It is symbolic!”, the President wrote on his Facebook account.


The same day, Radio Liberty also had the honour to talk by phone with the Chess Queen, 15th Women’s World Chess Champion. Just after receiving congratulations from the President, Mariya Muzychuk told all about it, thanking our listeners for their greetings.

– Thanks for greeting me. As for today’s meeting, I’m very pleased that it happened. I received an Order “For Merit” of the Third Degree. It’s a honour to receive such an award. We also talked about the possibility to host the next Women’s World Chess Championship match in Ukraine. Since I will have to defend my title nextly, I hope it can happen here.
– What were your impressions of the meeting with the President? And what’s your personal impression of him?
– I had a very pleasant experience.

The Muzychuk family with the President Poroshenko

– Please can you tell me what was your hardest time in Krasnaya Polyana?
– The harder time came when I had to play the final match against a Russian opponent, as the tournament was held in Krasnaya Polyana, Russia. A lot of people sent me all kinds of SMSs, messages, e-mails for cheering me on – they were all very inspiring. I’m glad that everything has ended well.
– Did your fans ever express an unfriendly attitude toward you? I mean, not only you came from Ukraine, but from the Lviv region, which is regarded as a Bandera’s fief.
– Indeed no! There were lots of people out to cheer me on and support me. It was very nice. I never felt any pressure. Indeed, I cannot but praise the organization.
– What’s your relationship with Natalia Andreevna Pogonina, the Russian opponent with whom you played the final match? Friendly competition? Or was there only competition?
– I know Natalia Andreevna from a long time ago, because we played very often the same tournaments, both team and individual. We’ve already played against each other. Nevertheless, we have a very friendly relationship. We regularly communicate, no matter who win. Together we won the Club Championship. Just a very friendly relationship.
– Mariya, what’s about you? How do you train yourself? How do you sleep before playing? Are you nervous? Or, on the contrary, are you able to relax and disconnect?
– Everything depends on what kind of competition it is, whether it’s important or not. Since I’m used to play responsibly most of the competitions, of course then I am a bit apprehensive. But, generally, we’re quite able to cope with emotions and excitement because we’re professionals and know the rules.
– Do you practice any superstitions? I mean, do you keep with you a mascot for the game? You know how it goes – just like wearing a lucky outfit, or a lucky cross.
– I would not say that I’m too superstitious, but when I win a game, then the following day I try not to change anything, neither pen nor clothes. During the World Championship I wore everyday the same sweater.

Mariya Muzychuk and Natalia Andreevna Pogonina
Photo: Anastasiya Karlovich

– You were born in a chess family. Your sister was together with you at the World Championship in Krasnaya Polyana. Who do you play chess with when you are at home? Your sister Anna, or your mother and father?
– We rarely play together. And when it happens, we play only blitz games. It’s more amusing.
– Why?
– We just prepare together.
– Still, why do you not play? Do you have no time to play? Would you like?
– No, we don’t. We’re sisters and rarely play together.
– And now do you have time for resting before the next tournament?
– I have now very little time, because soon begins the Chess World Cup. Maybe ten days. Being in good shape is necessary to perform well in such a contest.
– Thanks very much for your time, Mariya. I (and Radio Liberty’s listeners as well) wish you every success.
– Thank you. And thanks for your support.

(Very free translation by Nobody’s Perfect)

No comments: