Monday, December 11, 2017

Lost in Translation

http://www.sohu.com/a/209702494_124768
Group photo of judges and Chinese Rhodes Scholar candidates for the year 2018. Four-time Women’s World Chess Champion 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is pictured standing in the first row, centre. Photo: sohu.com.

侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is studying for a bachelor’s degree in International Relations at Peking University, and she has twice received the first comprehensive assessment. She’s also the world’s number one female chess player. Photo: sohu.com.

侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán)

Who's had the greatest impact on you so far? And why?
American Bobby Fischer, eleventh World Chess Champion, is my idol since childhood.
On the one hand, I appreciate his comprehensive chess-playing style, which is one of the aspects that inspired me to keep devoting myself to chess art for so many years. On the other hand, he has always had the courage of his opinions, he never feared to show his thoughts and feelings.
As much as I admired him for his attitude to think independently with apparent disregard of the thinking of others, however, during my growth process, I found myself involved in balancing the extremes of personality, gradually shaping myself into my actual self, in harmony and consistency with my sensibility and personality. Overall, Bobby’s impact on me is mostly reflected in chess accomplishments and character development.


What had the biggest impact on you? And why?
Choosing to enter Peking University.
As a national team top player, my decision to enter Peking University in my prime years was at first opposed by the chess establishment, including coaches, teammates and many others. However, in my longing for knowledge, campus life, and in my willingness to pursue the truth, I decided to join the Peking University in 2012.
It was actually this decision which gave me the chance to enhance my perspectives for the future through numerous seminars, workshops, and cultural exchanges at the Institute of International Relations. All of these experiences not only gave me the chance to meet with various experts in different fields, but also allowed me to share and exchange ideas with students from all over the world. Actually, that’s even broadened my horizons when I was thinking about my future career planning. Most of the choices that you wouldn’t even think of before entering school are included in the “option list”, and one of the most challenging is to apply for the “Rhodes Scholarship program”.
The application process also consists in constantly refining and exploring the sustainability of your own ideal process, so this decision helped me to identify more clearly the outlines of the future. All the way up, everything began at Peking University.


What is your best habit?
Independent thinking.

As a consummate chess player you are used first to analyse, and then to make your decision, not blindly following stereotypes.
What do you want to learn in Oxford? And why?
Education.
My interests and personal experience drove me to such a choice. My earliest experience with children in need occurred at the time of the 2008 汶川 (Wènchuān) earthquake. Then, after participating and volunteering as a social practice, I became more and more interested on this subject. Even small things may hopefully help to improve society.
I have also shared my experiences with children in Chile, Indonesia, Mexico and other countries. When, after the earthquake, I went to visit provisional elementary schools to help children cheer up, my heart was deeply touched, and since then I kept thinking about how to help children from developing countries and regions to become self-sufficient and help them realise their dreams.
In addition to the necessary practical experience, in order to turn the ideal into reality, a systematic theoretical study is essential. That’s why I choose Oxford.


What was your most embarrassing moment?
Once I was at a party, I asked who had taken the paper towels. Nine girls looked at each other, as a freezed time — I saw only one faceless boy taking out from his jacket pocket a package. Then just a closer look. He had only half of it. In a very short time I experienced two waves of embarrassment...

What is the hardest decision you made and why?
It is my goodbye to FIDE’s Women’s World Chess Championship system.
It’s quite obvious what this means for a professional.
After careful meditation, I have decided to take such a step mainly for two reasons.
First, I felt that I had to cut all bridges behind me in order to motivate myself to enhance my level of competitivity in the men’s field. Secondly, I make a call for gender equality. Given the difference between men’s and women’s World Chess Championship systems and formats, which most people feel as discriminatory towards women, I hope that my move will serve to draw more attention to this issue and will help to find a fair solution.

(English translation by I, Robot)

1 comment:

CSCCA said...

The Elder Scrolls Online are not directly connected, but players can encounter characters that will appear in the future DLC. In addition, players can buy ESO Gold at IGGM.com.

Attached link: https://www.iggm.com/eso-gold