Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Priorities

Interview with 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán)
By Georges Bertola, capechecs.com, October 30, 2019

侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán), a chess prodigy, achieved the title of International Grandmaster in 2008 at 14 years and 6 months, and won the Women’s World Chess Championship in 2010, she being the youngest woman ever to hold both titles. Photo: capechecs.com.

Gerges Bertola: With your 4 titles of Women’s World Champion, you have the most brilliant palmarès of this “Karpov Trophy”. What does chess mean to you today?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): Chess is truly my passion, but not a totalising one: it’s only a part of my life. However, I still have the ambition to do something for chess...

Georges Bertola: After renouncing to defend your title, you emulated Judit Polgár in being one of the few women to play successfully men’s tournaments. Do you still have ambitions to eventually play at the highest levels?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): Yes. Even though I do not have a specific goal for the future, I want to go as far as possible. I’ve been around a 2650 Elo rating for years, with a peak of 2680. I hope to improve my Elo rating and still be able to perform well. Nowadays computers have a great impact on the game, and, as for theory and preparation, man depends upon the machine. As for me, there is one absolute priority: to save the beauty of the game.

Georges Bertola: Since 2018 you have been studying at the University of Oxford in England. Is it possible to do both — university studies and chess?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): It was not easy. I somehow succeeded in combining studies with chess until 2012, but I’ve been studying in China in my mother’s language. At Oxford it is a little more difficult, due to the fact that I study in English. I managed, somehow, to keep balance between studies and chess only during holidays. But I’m going to have to give myself my own priorities, and it won’t be chess.

Georges Bertola: The conditions of the Women’s World Chess Championship have significantly improved since a new FIDE President came into office. Since you are number one, are you tempted to try to take back the world title for the fifth time?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): Indeed, it’s a long and complicated story. Since Mr. Dvorkovich was elected, some real changes have actually taken place, which is pretty good for professionals and non-professionals. This is very favourable to the promotion of chess in general. I’m very happy that the President took seriously my advice regarding the organisation of the Women’s World Chess Championship and that FIDE finally changed the rules as I wished for three years ago. If I had planned that, I could have continued to play without having every time to go through qualifications to defend my title.

Georges Bertola: For the first time in history, two candidates are from China, and it’s not excluded that one of them may become the challenger to Carlsen. What do you think about it?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): I am very happy with this result, two candidates are twice the one in the previous cycle, and perhaps there will be a third candidate via the “Grand Prix”! It’s a significant measure of the progress of chess in China, especially among men. A candidate is already near to the world title, but just think how much closer a challenger could get...

Georges Bertola: If it had to happen, do you think it could create a chess boom in China similar to that of Vishy Anand in India?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): It’s hard to say, but, honestly speaking, that would be a great success and it would increase the popularity of chess. I doubt any comparison with India may work, because in China there are so many other sports, including Olympic sports with well-established positions. There’s only one goal to accomplish. After the Women’s World titles, the Olympics and the Team Championships, there remains only an absolute Chinese World Championship title.

Georges Bertola: Who’s your favourite player, in terms of play and personality?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): Bobby Fischer, an authentic force of nature. Get him back, give him a computer, and he would certainly rank among the top 3 in the world. I think he’s one of the strongest players in history.

Georges Bertola: Is chess genius innate, or is it the fruit of hard labour?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): In my opinion, chess is for 98% centred on hard work. Talent reveals itself when one enters the “Top Ten”, but talent alone — without work — isn’t enough for success.

Georges Bertola: This is your second time at Cap d’Agde: what do you like about this tournament?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): This tournament is perfect! It was like time had never passed since my first time 11 years ago. It’s quite rare to return to a place after so long time, with all the memories of youth behind, and find the very same atmosphere.

(English translation by I, Robot)

No comments: