Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Souvenirs et rencontres

Four-time Women’s World Chess Champion and Rhodes Scholar 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) interviewed by Georges Bertola for Le Récap’, No. 5, Wednesday, October 30, 2019.

Georges Bertola: The conditions of the Women’s World Chess Championship have significantly improved since a new FIDE President came into office. Since you are number one, are you tempted to try to take back the world title for the fifth time?
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán): Indeed, it’s a long and complicated story. Since Mr. Dvorkovich was elected, some real changes have actually taken place, which is pretty good for professionals and non-professionals. This is very favourable to the promotion of chess in general. I’m very happy that the President took seriously my advice regarding the organisation of the Women’s World Chess Championship and that FIDE finally changed the rules as I wished for three years ago. If I had planned that, I could have continued to play without having every time to go through qualifications to defend my title.

No comments: