Friday, July 16, 2021

In Chinese, “凡 (fán)” means ordinary, while the meaning of “逸 (yi)” is just the opposite: extraordinary. And when I first got close to 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán), the chess Grandmaster, I deeply felt that, as her name suggests, no one can combine two opposites in one body better than her. [Read more].

“If I hadn’t had a career in chess, I would have studied and got a job in my hometown in 江苏 (Jiāngsū). Perhaps I would not have enjoyed such a rich life. I’m grateful to chess for broadening my horizons”. On Saturday and Sunday, June 12 and 13, 2021, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) descended to 济南 (Jǐnán) to attend a two-day celebration in her honour as the “brightest star” of the the team champion of the 1st “机器人谷杯” (“Robot Valley Cup”) China City Chess League for the season 2020–21. Not surprisingly, she does not consider herself a genius, as “I’d rather be unique than brilliant”. After all, there is only one move between a Pawn and a Queen. [Read more].

No comments: