Monday, January 23, 2017

The Importance of Not Being Arcovazzi

Mohamed Abdallah, leader of the independent street vendors’ union in Cairo, Egypt speaking with Giulio Regeni (pictured above) and asking him money, while he was filming him in the face. Here, the snapshots transmitted by the Egyptian investigators to their Italian colleagues, filmed by Abdallah himself, showing his last meeting with the Italian researcher. They discuss the British Antipode Foundation’s project, which issued a grant of up to £10,000 to fund a development project aimed at developing countries. “My wife has cancer”, the street vendor explains to Giulio, “I care only about money, no matter how much”. Regeni answers: “It’s not my money, I cannot give it you. I am a university researcher, I cannot use it for my private interest”. Snapshot by repubblica.it.

No comments: