Saturday, November 11, 2017

Billboard’s Hot Hits

 https://www.sport-express.ru/chess/news/anna-muzychuk-ya-poteryayu-dva-chempionskih-titula-no-igrat-v-er-riyade-ne-budu-1333856/
Anna Muzychuk: “I’ll lose both my world titles, but I’m not gonna play in ar-Riyāḍ (Riyadh)

Ukrainian Anna Muzychuk won’t perform at the World Rapid & Blitz Chess Championships in Saudi Arabia. The current holder of both the Rapid and Blitz world titles took her decision in protest against that country’s attitude towards women.
“World Rapid & Blitz Chess Championships will be held at the end of the year in Saudi Arabia. First, Iran, now Saudi Arabia...”, Muzychuk wrote on her social media account. “I’m wondering where the next Women’s World Chess Championship will be staged. I’m not gonna play in ar-Riyāḍ (Riyadh), despite record prize money. Yes, I’ll lose both my world titles. But should I risk my life and always wear an abaya? There’s a limit to everything, and a shawl in Iran has been just enough for me”.

(Free translation by Nobody’s Perfect)

No comments: