Monday, November 13, 2017

The Voices of Time


Then he turned his attention to the clock. This monster clock was a strangely old-fashioned piece of equipment and reminded me of a control board from an old science fiction movie about nuclear war.
“Helgi, do you want a male voice or a soft female voice?” Bobby asked me. “What do we need the voices for?” I asked back. “The voices will warn you if your time is running out”, Bobby said. “Are there any other options?” I asked.
“Yes, there are”, Bobby said, “but I am not sure how to activate them”.
“All right then. I think I will go for the soft female voice”, I answered. Bobby set the time control at three minutes for 30 moves and thereafter three seconds would be added for every move. A very stiff time control for someone who had never played [Fischerandom].

Helgi Ólafsson, “Bobby Fischer Comes Home: The Final Years in Iceland, a Saga of Friendship and Lost Illusions”, New In Chess, Alkmaar, 2012, p. 82.

Five-time Olympic gold medal diver 吴敏霞 (Wú Mǐnxiá) introducing the latest watch collections from Tiffany & Co. All photos: Onlylady.

No comments: