Monday, August 23, 2021

Just a Few Lines

That’s just how Clarice Benini introduced herself on the stage of the Women’s World Chess Championship 1949–50:

In 1937 I participated in the Women’s World Championship in Stockholm. As it is well known, Vera Menchik triumphed. I took second place. Among the participants at Stockholm also were Karff, Herman and Larsen, who are now playing in Moscow. In my opinion, the World Championship in Moscow is stronger than that in Stockholm, with the sole exception of Vera Menchik. I live in Florence, I work as a nurse in a hospital. I must say that in Italy very few women play chess. In 1938 and 1939 Italy held its first national Women’s Championships. Very few players took part in the inaugural Championship, and two of them barely knew how to move chessmen. If I had to answer the question, which other Italian female players could participate in the Moscow World Championship, I guess I’d say I do not know one. The arrival in Moscow made a huge impression on me. The Tournament was organised wonderfully. As for Moscow, it is a wonderful city!

(From Kurier Szachowy, No. 4, May 2014, Vol. 1, p. 42)

Despite being warned by municipal authorities that she would be fired if only she dared to set foot in the Soviet Union, Clarice Benini undertook, at her own expense, the fifteen-day train trip to Moscow, just in time not to miss her last appearance in a World Championship.

No comments: