Thursday, January 11, 2024

Ratio Studiorum

侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán):I haven’t yet considered a campus love affair — “Politics” is better

韩飞周游 (Hán Fēizhōuyóu), 现代快报 (Modern Express Post), April 20, 2013

侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) and 韩飞周游 (Hán Fēizhōuyóu).

In September of last year, the queen of chess 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) was admitted to the coveted Peking University, to study at the School of International Relations. How does she feel after studying for 7 months at 燕园 (“Yàn Yuán”)? Last night, in an exclusive face-to-face interview with the reporter of 现代快报 (Modern Express Post), 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) unveiled for the first time her life as a student at Peking University.

The highest score was 88

How did you feel the moment you received the admission letter from Peking University? At my question, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) smiled, “I knew I’d be admitted, but still I was feeling very excited”.
At the board, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is a shining queen. At the campus of Peking University, although students may ask for a photo with her, she’s well aware she needs to put in more effort. Therefore, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) lives in the campus. She took 17.5 credits, 1.5 points more than the average student. “I want, and I will pursue my chess career, so the attendance at lessons may be a little irregular”, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) said. Although she devoted only ⅔ of her time to studying, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán)’s grades are not bad. Her favourite study is “History of International Relations”, because of “its strong storyline”. “Last semester, because of the juxtaposition of a tournament with mid-term exams, I missed two exams, I took only four or five exams; the highest score was 88 in Introduction to International Politics”. 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) says, a little embarassed.
Anyone who is familiar with 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) knows that last year, as a teaching assistant, she gave a lecture to PKU students on the topic of “Analysis of famous chess matches and the development of chess at Peking University”. The classroom, which could accommodate about 100 people, was full to the brim; some even stood and listened for an hour.

I can perform 《遇见》 (Encounter) in sign language

At Peking University there are many student clubs. One day, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) ran into a club that was looking for new members, and joined them. She found she liked hip-hop and roller skating, and signed up without hesitation.
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) loves watching urban dance, she thinks it’s very cool. She participated in two club activities. A teacher taught her basic dance steps. When she returned to the dormitory, she practiced it repeatedly in front of the mirror. But when asked if she thought she had a talent for dancing, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) burst out laughing. A few words popped out, though: “No, definitely not”. As for roller skating, she bought a set of equipment two years ago, but all is now covered with dust. To say it in her words: “Like dancing, roller skating is also difficult for me, that’s not really my cup of tea”.
Everyone says 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is a caring girl. On her 18th birthday, she went to 北京 (Běijīng) Red Cross Blood Centre to donate blood for free — which was highly praised. At Peking University, she joined the Loving Heart Society, “The Loving Heart Society has a sign language branch, and I love participating in their activities”. Troughout five meetings, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) not only learned basic greetings such as “hello” and “thank you”, but also a lot of sign language songs. “Classes are small, and one song is taught at a time. Young people usually choose popular hit songs. I learned 孙燕姿 (Stefanie Sun)’s《遇见》(Encounter) and 光良 (Michael Wong)’s 《童话》(Fairy Tale)”.

I haven’t yet considered a campus love affair

“Ha ha”. Sitting on the sofa in the hotel lobby, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) said it no less than three times — that’s the mantra of this post-90 girl. Indeed, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is the youngest chess queen, but she is also an ordinary girl. After turning 18, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) was more and more often feted at sports awards ceremonies as well as other mundane gatherings. She didn’t wear glasses, and once she stunned us by wearing an exquisite makeup and a pink little dress.
侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) is still shy when being praised. “Basically, I still do not wear makeup; it was all done by a makeup artist. As for the dresses, many give me advice, I do not decide alone”, 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) said. Indeed, 小侯 (Xiǎo Hóu) is a bit modest. When your reporter got in touch with her, I (he) found she was pretty trendy. As a Pisces, one time she showed up at a competition sporting big black Pisces earrings and a little black dress. At Peking University, the easy-going 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) made many friends. At the PKU Top Ten Singers Contest, a classmate of hers asked her for her cheer, but because she was out competing, she let another go instead of her. Your reporter half-jokingly asked, “Was it a female or a male classmate?”. 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) smiled.
Some say that college life without love is imcomplete, but 侯逸凡 (Hóu Yìfán) seems very calm: “I haven’t yet considered this aspect. I still mostly play chess and study”.

(English translation and adaptation by I, Robot)

2 comments:

Ulises said...

She has come a long way.

I wonder if she improved her dancing and roller skating skills.

Lorenzo said...

Oh, yes, a long way — the way forward back home.
As for roller skating, I cannot be of any help to you, as I do not know anything. However, as for dance, I can at least say that, when she was our guest at Il Delta della Luna in Florence, I tried to involve her in one of Alessandra's dance classes, but very much in vain, for she -- as kindly as ever -- always found a reason why she couldn't. I seem to remember her saying at last, in her polite way, 'Maybe next time'.